Dong quai (Angelica sinesis), nicknamed female ginseng because of its amazing capabilities is a powerful herb primarily grown in asia.
Dong quai’s active ingredient, which include ferulic acid, various polysaccharides, and more than 70 other powerful chemical compounds makes the plant an excellent treatment for various kind of ailments.
Below are certain important benefits and uses of dong quai.
Benefits of Dong quai
- Hormonal Balance: Dong quai has the ability to regulate estrogen levels (increases it if low and reduces it if it is high).
- Menstruation Problems: Whether it is premenstrual syndrome (PMS), Menopausal problem, menstrual cramps, and other general discomfort experienced during menstruation can be alleviated by dong quai. Dong quai can also help to naturally regulate and ease menstrual cycle.
- Detoxification: Due to the high levels of nutrients and vitamins in dong quai, such as folic acid, biotin, and vitamin B12, it is effective in clearing out the blood and reducing toxins throughout the body
- Improves blood circulation: Iron which is one of the key components found in dong quai means it can significantly boost circulation, increase energy levels, promote healings and relieve symptoms associated with anemia such headaches, fatigue, and muscle weakness
- Increases Libido levels for both male and female
- Excellent Blood tonic: This is as a result of high quality nutrients it contains.
- Reduces anxiety and stress: Studies have shown that dong quai is effective at reducing anxiety and could be useful to help you combat stress and reduce the severity of mood swings. It has a calming effect on your nervous system and promotes relaxation.
- Skin Care: Dong Quai works as an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial substance to resolve common skin conditions like treatment of loss of skin color (depigmentation), alopecia, eczema and rosacea, neurodermatitis, pruritis, hives and vitiligo
- Improves Heart Health: Dong quai may improve heart health by lowering blood pressure and reduce excess platelet build-up in the arteries and blood vessels.
How to Use Dong Quai and Dosage
The typical dose range for dong quai root is 1500mg to 3000mg per day taken in three divided doses.
Safety and Side Effects
While dong quai seems to be loaded with various benefits, it should be avoided by those women suffering from breast cancer, or men suffering from prostate cancer
Pregnant women or nursing mothers should avoid using this herbal supplement.
Finally, since it helps circulation, that means it can act as an anticoagulant, it can cause complications for people taking blood thinning medication or blood pressure medication, like warfarin, and may cause excess bleeding