Maca root (lepidium meyenii) a member of the cruciferous veggies like cabbage and broccoli is an adaptogen herb that has been used for ages. It is mainly grown in the high altitude regions of peru.
Benefits of Maca Root
- Hormonal balance: Maca is effective in the balancing of female hormones. It has also proven very efficient in reducing the symptoms of pms, menopause and PCOS by controlling estrogen levels in the body.
- Boost fertility, women’s hormones and sexual health
- Maca Improves sperm production, sperm mobility and sperm volume
- Maca is an Antioxidant booster as it has the ability to prevent the development of chronic human diseases
- Maca root also improves energy level, stamina and generally makes mood better by working on the hypothalamus and helping the pituitary gland to function properly.
How to Use Maca Root and Dosage
Maca is a real food and not considered as supplement or herb. Hence overdosing it is quite difficult.
However, when taking it you should consider your weight (smaller people take less, bigger people more), another thing is to adjust the amount of Maca we take depending on how much extra energy we want, or how far we have come along in our health goals.
Daily Recommendations: 3-9 grams (1-3 teaspoons) or 2-8 capsules
All forms of maca are ideal. But 100% pure maca root powder and look for a trusted manufacturer that produces variety that is raw and organic
Safety and Side Effects
Maca is considered generally safe in most people…
However, people with breast cancer or prostrate cancer who relies on hormone altering medications should avoid eating maca.
Pregnant women and nursing mothers should also avoid it as safety during pregnancy has not been established.