Vitex, Chaste tree, chasteberry, vitex agnus castus, Monk pepper etc. is one of the most popular herbs for gynecological disorders which has been used for over 2000 years.
Various research and traditional use of Vitex have shown its amazing ability to help balance fertility hormones.
The herb is native to Greece and Italy, it has been used extensively in Europe and other western countries.
Even in Nigeria, the popularity of the herb has increased since people keep asking questions like where to find vitex, what is the yoruba name for vitex or what is the Nigerian name for vitex.
Infact, some people erroneously believe that the yoruba name for vitex is ata iyere and the igbo name is uziza, This is not true.. Those are the local names for west african black pepper
Vitex may not have a Nigerian name as it is not an indigenous herb. The best chance of getting vitex is buying online through a reputable channel.
Vitex is known to have a supporting and regulating effect upon the pituitary gland
Listed below are some outstanding uses of chasteberry fruit
Benefits of Vitex
- Relieves PMS: A whole lot of ladies experience unpleasant emotional and physical symptoms slightly before the period. Vitex Chasteberry is one of the best herbs that can resolve this problem.
- Reduces Uterine Fibroids: An important way to reduce or shrink fibroid masses is by balancing hormones. Chasteberry does this job by balancing the ratio of estrogen to progesterone
- Improves Fertility: When ovaries don’t release enough progesterone, this can cause infertility. Women with this problem can benefit from using vitex.
- High Prolactin Levels: Vitex has been shown to reduce elevated pituitary prolactin.
- Clear Acne: Hormonal flunctuations and imbalances are root causes of acne. Research shows that vitex may work as acne natural remedy.
- Treats Endometriosis: Endometriosis is often a painful medical condition in which tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus grows at other places different from the uterus (e.g around the ovaries). Long term use of vitex (1 year) could help treat the problem.
- Remedies Amenorrhea: Because of its hormonal balancing capability, Vitex can help restore absent period.
- Relieves Menopausal symptoms: In conjuction with other herbs, vitex can alleviate menopause symptoms.
- Treats Enlarged Prostrate: Vitex is also useful in men as it contains substance that prevents proliferation and kills prostrate cancer cells.
- Reduces advancement of mild endometriosis
- May help with Miscarriage prevention
- Reduction of uterine cyst
- Inhibit / stimulate breast milk production depending on the dosage
How to Use Vitex and Dosage
While Vitex may start working as low as 10 days, its full benefit is derived when taken for a period of 6 months or more. As such, it is recommended to take vitex for a long term to experience optimal result.
Some recommended dosage of vitex are as follows:
For PMS: 400 mg daily before breakfast
For uterine fibroids: 400 mg twice daily
For infertility: 160–240 mg daily
For acne: 160 mg daily
For endometriosis: 400 mg twice daily
For menopause: 160–240 mg daily
Safety and Side Effects
Generally Vitex supplements are safe in most people when taken in right dosage.
Nevertheless, some uncommon side effects may include stomach upset, nausea, rash, acne, headaches, difficulty in sleeping, itching and weight gain.
Change in menstrual flow can occur in certain women when they start taking vitex.